While the routing seen today largely reflects Stiles and Van Kleek's original plans when the golf course was constructed in 1933, the course has gone through a few transformations, mainly due to land acquisitions along the property's perimeter. The course originally began with a downhill par-3. In the late 1950's, land was acquired from the farm at the northern edge of the property. This new land allowed for the addition of a par-3 between the present 4th and 6th holes (the current 5th hole). The addition of this hole allowed for the removal of the old first hole and the expansion of the mid-length par-4 second hole to a short par-5 opening hole. The par-5 6th was also lengthened. In doing this, par for the course was increased from 70 to 71.
In the early 70's, additional land was acquired at the property's sound end, allowing for a new green site on the fourteenth hole, transforming the hole from a straight-away short par-four into a dog-leg right, mid length par-four.
As an interesting note, the architect's plans had the present first hole as the tenth and vice versa. The current tenth would have made a "blind" starting hole, on account of the hill left of the fairway. The starter would have required an assistant to signal when it was safe for the following match to drive (there is now a bell serving a similar purpose). The nines were reversed in order to speed up play.
Note: The Park Commissioners responsible for the building of the Course were Paul M. Hubbard, Chairman, Richard C. Floyd and Francis J. Oakes Jr.